Sunday, March 22, 2009

A change of pace.

Today was a running day and I needed to get in 3 miles. Ooof. 3 miles is about my top out point although I have managed to do 3.5 on a treadmill a couple weeks back.

I didn't change my running pace today, though, but I did change up where I ran. We have a great park right by our neighborhood called Gene Green park (or the Double G as myself, my husband, and the Coopster refer to it). GG has a 2 mile path which is great for running, but I needed new scenery.

Thus I headed to Friendswood which is about 30 minutes from my house. I snagged my mom on the way (who lives in Friendswood) and hit up Stevenson park.



It turned out to be a great idea! Even though the path was only 1/2 a mile the change in scenery was great. There was a lot of shade too which was welcome on this warmer spring day in Houston. As a new runner I'm dreading the heat of summer. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

After my 6 laps were done I walked back and met up with my mom. We walked another lap and talked. It was nice. I love my mommy.

I did have my first, err... casualty? of running. Injury maybe? Hmm not really. Whatever you want to call it I got a rub spot under my left arm! Ouch! It's not too bad but if I had continuned running for a while I imagine it would have been bloody raw. I guess the hem of my sleeve started rubbing and wouldn't stop.

Anyway, it stings a bit now but should be fine in a day or so. This is the first time it's happened and I'm not really sure how to prevent it. Bodyglide maybe? I'm too much of a newb to need that already! Right? Well, if it's a consistant problem I guess I'll have to join the hordes of BG/Vaseline slatherers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw that you linked to me so I thought I'd come say hello. Sometimes I get rub spots after long runs. You'll get used to the heat in the summer (I live in Austin), but it helps if you can go early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! Thanks for stopping by.

    I'm definitely dreading the summer heat, but I'm sure, like you've said, I'll get used to it. =)

    ReplyDelete