Sunday, April 19, 2009

Healthy Shopping: Getting back to it

A couple of years ago I wanted to start eating more organics and just "healthier" in general. I began going to Whole Foods every weekend to pick up a few organics to include with our meals during the week.

Well, naturally, we put our house for sale, started building a new house, lived in an apartment between, yada, yada, yada. Short story: the habit of buying organics faded before it even began.

Now, since losing weight and becoming more focused on health issues in general, I want to return to buying organics and trying to slowing switch over to mostly organics over conventional foods.

I know everyone has their views on organics and whether they're "worth it" or not. Personally, the less unneeded chemicals I put into my body the better (imho).

Switching to 100% organics would be hard. VERY hard. So right now I'm just trying to move in that general direction. Most of our foods are still conventional and we still eat a lot more processed stuff than I'd like, but one step at a time, eh?

So yesterday I decided to head back to Whole Foods (Trader Joe's PLEASE come to Houston!!) and pick up a few items. I thought it might be neat to chronicle my "healthy" shopping trips, so here we go!

I picked up:
  • Organic raw whole almonds
  • Organic peanut butter
  • Organic maple syrup (from the WF bulk selection)
  • Texas grown mushrooms (conventional)
  • Organic zucchini
  • Organic onion
  • Organic black olives
  • Organic dried cranberries
  • Soy crispets (for hubby - he's a crisp lover!)
  • Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed meal
  • Bob's Red Mill Organic whole oats
  • Ezekiel Organic whole grain bread

That's it! I have plans for all of this (in fact some already eaten!) and will be sharing that soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment