Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sleepy Sunday

Well, it wasn't really a sleepy day, but I'm definitely sleep now. I also think I have a touch of the Sunday blues. I love my job and really like the people I work with/for, so it's not really a work issue, just that I wish I had more time. Sunday evening often comes and I often feel like I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to on the weekend.

Ah well, enough moping!

I woke up this morning feeling great. I slept in till about 9ish which was great. I started my day off with a brand new bag of oats.



I added some flax seed meal, truvia, and almond slivers to my oats. Delicious.



Some strawberries on the side made the feeling of summertime sink in. Really lovely.



Because of my late breakfast I wasn't really hungry for lunch. Around noon I got in a snack, though, because I was about to leave to go see my parents and get the grocery shopping done. I knew I wouldn't be home until almost dinner time.

I tried a new Larabar: Jocalat Chocolate Hazelnut. It was ok, but I think I prefer the non-chocolate fruit bars more. I also had some honey Oikos. Mmmm....



I didn't return home until about 4pm and I was ready to eat something, but not ready to make dinner. I decided on a banana with a tbsp of peanut butter.



The latest issue of Cooking Light had a recipe that looked interesting: Bulgur Salad with Edamame and Cherry Tomatoes I decided to try it out.

I've never had or cooked bulgur before, but it was very easy. Just add equal part hot water and let sit for an hour.



Shhhhh. Bulgur sleeping!



The recipe calls for a lot of fresh herbs: flat leaf parsley, mint and dill.



Honestly, it called for a lot of ingredients. This picture doesn't show the edamame or cherry tomatoes I also added.



When it was done it did look very nice. I tried it out and it wasn't bad. The recipe calls for it to sit an hour so I left it alone and focused on the main dinner.



After an hour the salad was tastier. The flavors were starting to mesh together. I think I could do without the mint next time and Jesse said he'd prefer less lemon juice. All in all, it definitely isn't bad! A little tweaking with salt and garlic powder made it more to our tastes.

Our main dinner tonight: turkey hot dogs on the grill, corn on the cob, bulgur salad, and tator tots. We've had the bag of tots in the freezer forever so I was glad to cook them up and be done with them. I had a good few of them with my dinner. Who can resist tots?



Dinner was really good and simple (well minus the bulgur salad). It was a bit too much, though. Jesse and I were both pretty full but I had made parfaits!



Oh my these were good! Strawberries, raspberries and vanilla Oikos.

We feasted! We were both stuffed by time dinner was over.

Now I'm just finishing up the night. About to head to bed and get in a good snooze to start the week off right.

Have a great evening, all!

2 comments:

  1. Those parfaits look very yummy.

    I've been enjoying reading about your food ideas. I just bought some Oikos to try. I've also started putting a TBSP of chunky peanut butter in my oatmeal/multigrain hot cereal in the morning and plan to try adding sliced banana tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becca. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. :)

    I figure as I fumble my way through the megasphere of healthy eating I may as well share what I find (and don't find hah).

    ReplyDelete