Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wine Beginnings

I've always wanted to get "into" wine, but never have. I'm not much of a drinker. The only thing I really crave alcoholic-wise is Bailey's.

Mmmmm Bailey's....

Um, er, sorry. So, yeah, I'd like to have some wine with dinner some nights but I just don't know what is good to start with or anything. Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't know squat about wine.

My boss is really into wine. He gave me a suggestion of a red wine to try (all my previous experiences with white wines has been bad, so staying away from whites to begin with).

Today I decided to pick up some wine on the way home. Unfortunately I didn't see the wine my boss suggested, so I picked a wine that I saw recommended for beginners.

Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages

When I was ready to have my wine with dinner I couldn't uncork it! Oh geez. Thankfully Jesse uncorked it for me. My boss sent me a video of how you're supposed to use the "waiter's corkscrew" but we had already muscled the cork out by then. I felt a bit silly knowing we could have uncorked the bottle with much less effort. Ah well, live and learn.

The first sip was ok. Again, I'm not much of an alcohol drinker so that "tang" hit me quickly. However, it wasn't bad. In fact the more I drank the better it tasted. I guess I adjusted to the taste some.

After having 4oz. with my dinner I decided to have another 4oz. The second glass tasted even better! Sitting here now having finished the second glass I'd really like more, but I think 8oz is more than enough for one night.

Thankfully 8oz of red wine is only 160 calories so I could have a glass with dinner now and then without too much worry.

I'm looking forward to trying more wine!





4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a "beginner wine."

    Oh, and the "waiter's corkscrew" totally rocks, as long as you do use it correctly. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't think there is such a thing as beginner wine but I guess the taste of this is supposed to be tamer? Beats me. I just read it on the internet so it must be true, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that wine before and I remember it being good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only found a few wines that I truly enjoy from the first sip. Typically, the more I drink the better it gets...could have something to do with the level of alcohol in it too!

    ReplyDelete